Blueberry Basil Ice Cream
This ice cream is summer sweetness in one bite. Blueberries are fresh in season and basil is that unexpected surprise that will make you go back for seconds!
I always look for unique recipes that will have that wild and creative side. I love ice cream (who doesn’t!) and blueberries as they are not too sweet and wanted to add that “wild factor” that will make this an unexpected experience.
I made this recipe a few months ago with no expectation of it being any good. To my surprises, this became one of my favorite ice creams EVER!
When making this recipe, you’ll have to be your own creative director with the flavors. Add more basil if you like the flavor to pop in your mouth, or add less for a subtle after taste.
- 12 oz. frozen organic blueberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 oz. basil ( this is a lot of basil, cut half on your first try)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy cream cold
- 14 oz. sweet condensed milk
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Add blueberries and sugar to a pot and cook for 5-7 minutes over medium heat. Remove from heat and stir in basil.
Use a food processor to blitz and make smooth. ( I leave mine somewhat chunky) Let it cool for 10-15 minutes.
In a stand mixer on high or hand mixer whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form, about 2-3 minutes.
- Fold in condensed milk, vanilla and blueberry sauce, make sure you keep some streaks of cream and be careful not to take all the air out of the stiff peaks.
Transfer to glass dish and cover and freeze it for 6-8 hours to overnight before eating.
Hope you love this recipe as much as I do. Enjoy!!